2016 was a good year for diamond auctions at Christie’s and Sotheby’s. These ten legendary stones got a new owner for staggering prices.
- Constellation: the Constellation diamond was auctioned in May for 63 million dollars. The stone weighs 813 carat and was found in Botswana in November 2015.
- Oppenheimer: The Oppenheimer Blue diamond was sold in May for 57.5 million dollars at Christie’s in Geneva. This 14.62 carat diamond was presented in a ring. The stone belonged to the collection of the famous London diamond merchant Sir Philip Oppenheimer, who controlled the diamond market internationally through the company De Beers. The stone was found in South Africa.
- Unique Pink: This rare pink diamond was auctioned in May at Sotheby’s in Geneva for 31.5 million dollars. The 15.38 carat diamond is set in a ring and cut pear-shaped. The unique diamond shape and pink colour make this diamond extremely rare.
- Cullinan Dream: The blue diamond was sold in June at Christie’s in New York for 25.4 million dollars. This rectangular diamond is the largest of the four precious stones which were cut from the rough Cullinan diamond, found in 2014.
- A Fancy Intense Pink diamond of 17.07 carat, set into a ring, was sold for 20.77 million dollars at Sotheby’s in November.
- Light of Memory: Also in November, this pear-shaped pink diamond of 9.14 carat was sold for 18.1 million dollars in Geneva. The stone was bought by a private collector from Asia.
- Miroir d’Amour: These pear-shaped diamonds were set in earrings and were sold in November for 17.16 million dollars. The earrings are designed by the Parisian Maison Haute Joaillerie, the recently opened boutique of Boehmer et Bassenge.
- 17.11 million dollars was paid in May for a 7.32 carat Fancy Vivid Blue diamond.
- Sky Blue Diamond: This blue square cut diamond, set in a Cartier ring, was auctioned in Geneva in November for 17.07 million dollars. The stone was graded by GIA as a Fancy Vivid Blue with VVS1 – almost perfect – clarity rating.
- The top ten was completed with the Aurora Fancy Vivid Green diamond, which was sold for 16.81 million dollars at Christie’s in Hong Kong.
You don’t need to calculate such amounts for each investment diamond. BAUNAT DIAMONDS advises you professionally on the price of diamonds.